Military Appreciation Month
While our appreciation for those who have served our country in the military extends far beyond one month, May is recognized as Military Appreciation Month. So we would like to take a moment to recognize those who have served and those who continue to serve, as well as those who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
We thank you – from the bottom of our hearts – for your service.
In honor of Military Appreciation Month, we thought we would share the answers to some commonly-asked questions.
- What is military time?
- Military time is the popular name for the 24-hour clock which runs from midnight to midnight and is divided into 24 hours. For example, 7:00pm in military time is 19:00.
- What is the military alphabet?
- The military alphabet is the phonetic alphabet adopted by NATO that is used to ensure clear communication. Examples include Alpha-Bravo-Charlie for A-B-C.
- What are military ranks?
- Military ranks are used to define authority and responsibility in a military hierarchy. The ranks vary based on branch, as well as pay grade. You can learn more about military rank here.
Many businesses offer a military discount on a regular basis. Below are just a handful of examples of current promotions for military members.
- adidas: 30% off online orders
- All American Clothing: Up to 15% off
- Apple: 10% off on Apple products for current military members, veterans, and immediate family members residing in the same household
- AT&T: unlimited plans as low as $27 per month with four lines for military members, veterans, and their families
- Converse: 15% off
- L.L. Bean: 10% off for all active, veteran, retired, and reserve personnel
- Levi’s: 15% off all its apparel for military service members
- Nike: 10% off all orders
- Omaha Steaks: 10% off on steaks and more
- Samsung: save up to 30% on appliances and more with the military discount program
- T-Mobile: 50% off Magenta rate family lines
- The North Face: 10% off
- Under Armour: 20% off online orders for military personnel, retirees, veterans, and their spouses and family members
- Verizon Wireless: unlimited plans starting at $30 per line each month with the purchase of four lines
Showing Your Appreciation
There are many ways to show your appreciation for those who have served, including:
- Donating to the Wounded Warrior Project
- Sending care packages to active troops
- Writing a letter to military members – active, reserve, and veterans
To all of those who have served in some way – as active military members, reserve, veterans, and spouses and families – we thank you for your service and sacrifices for our country.